Thursday, August 4, 2011

Great # 5 Awe-inspiring

I think this is a great blog to be finishing this little segment of blog review posts I have been doing lately.

THE ART CLASSROOM:

http://theartclassroom.wordpress.com/

I have to be honest, this guy's blog has me kinda intimidated.  As a recent B.Ed. Grad and a (potential) Secondary School Art Teacher myself, this blog blows me away.  From what I can gather from the blog and linked class Facebook page, this teacher is only an LTO or equivalent as the students are asking him if he is returning in the Fall.   He really SHOULD be in my opinion (if admin can help it!).

David Dunlop IS a Secondary School Art Teacher (I believe in the UK) and has a classroom blog set up that he facilitates with all kinds of student work examples presented.

He hosts an "Artwork of the Week" post in which a student's artwork is showcased on the blog with a brief explanation of the student's intent with the piece.  He also provides of student podcasts uploaded to YouTube creating a "magazine" entitled "Art Clast" where the students are demonstrating/instructing lessons to viewers themselves!  There is also a video on the blog done by his students in particular that is with a view, called "The Black Box."  It is a short film created by his students in their SPARE time as a club during lunch breaks and such.   David also has links to posts entitled " ARTSPIRATION"  where the class focuses on a certain artist that is successful and/or influential each month.

I also love his little image box that proclaims: "It's Not Homework, It's Work From Home!" which displays tasks/artwork the students have been working on while they are outside of his classroom.



The final thing I will comment on is his creation of a "Doodle Book".  I have used Blurb books before myself to create a student book of poetry but I love the idea of a collaborative book of doodles!!  Very cool.

There is so much more to see on this blog and if you are a teacher that loves art or needs inspiration, go ahead and check this blog out, you won't be disappointed.

I, on the other  hand, have to get to planning.  David has inspired ME to inspire someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment